Sunday, December 18, 2016

What if God spoke to you in a dream?



Today's Gospel passage provokes some profound questions. What if Joseph cast Mary out of his life, exposing her to public ridicule and possibly public stoning for the sin of adultery? What do couples married and unmarried do themselves when informed of an unexpected pregnancy? What if God spoke to me in a dream commanding me to take an action that seemed entirely inconsistent with reality?

I really don't want to know about the answer to the first question as it frightens me to ponder a world without our Savior. The second question can only be answered with alarming statistics of abortions, of live births and from evidence from those we know proceeded with pregnancies welcoming the will of God into their life-giving decision. We must continue to pray for all of those who face these decisions that God will send the Holy Spirit into their life so that the gift of life may be preserved as well as for those who have made the decision to end life.

The final question is equally profound. Throughout the Bible we encounter figures of whom God has spoken to and who carry out his will, some initially question these appearances and the message and others who take immediate action. If only discerning the voice of God was as easy, as my own head is full of thousands of voices each vying for my attention.

So what made it so clear for Joseph? From what little is known about him, he was honorable and a man of God. He was reassured not to be afraid in the dream and perhaps with that security it made it easier for him to make a decision. One can assume with a message in a dream that proclaims that his wife was to give birth to one who would save his people from their sins, that taking any other action then what was instructed would bring on severe consequences.

God does not have to speak to us in dreams although for me it might be helpful. I always think of the George Burns classic, "Oh God." The clear voice of God instructing the character to do this or that. For me God is more subtle, speaking through those around me, through Scripture and sometimes with a small but quiet voice reminding me about some action I am going take. I really don't want God to speak to me through dreams because I might be asked to make a life altering decision and I am comfortable with my life as it is. But as we know our plans are not God's plans. Just thinking of my own dreams, many of which were about personal success and glory, and of which remain unrealized helps me understand this. Taking the example of the modest poor couple who brought our Savior into the world I can open my heart to the will of God, through silence, prayer, and love.  Then perhaps I might hear that voice in a dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do You Not Know?

THE MAP As the disciples gathered and Thomas and Philip questioned Jesus as he told them where he was going. Still not quite understanding T...