Thursday, December 29, 2016

Good News, Bad News

Mary and Joseph arrive at the temple as required for the ritual of purification. Met by Simeon who joyfully takes the Christ child in his arms and makes his joyful proclamation, they must have been overcome with emotion with the first words of Simeon. But his last words were the most powerful and most likely disconcerting. What mother would want to be told that their child will be the salvation and then in the same breath told that a sword would pierce their hear. We would call that an emotional roller coaster. As with other references, Mary and I am sure Joseph would hold this in their heart.

Many of us had been given both good news and bad news whether through medical issues, family tragedies, work, and other personal issues. How does a person prevail through this? For those who navigate through the pain and suffering, we see that faith seems to be the common denominator. Others seem to go the opposite way and are overcome with a myriad of mental and physical health issue.

As a person who was recently the recipient of disconcerting medical information concerning a recent MRI on my neck, I have to look no further than Mary. The uncertainty of those words from Simeon would shake any person, but her example through the next 32 years of Jesus life is definitely worth examining. Not knowing what my future holds and what the prognosis from the neurosurgeon will be as far as surgery and limitations on what was a life full of activity, especially endurance cycling which I have become an avid participant creates fear, anger, depression and a slew of other emotions. I am sure many of you can identify with these from your own personal experiences. It is easy to question, why me? Mary did the same, but in her unequaled faithfulness she allowed God to take over not knowing what where the impending birth of Jesus would take her.

The first step in recovery programs which is to recognize life's unmanageability with whatever addiction one has.  Soon the person realizes that it is not just the addiction, but life overall that is unmanageable without God. The founders of AA were definitely on to something. These very facets can be utilized by any person regardless of faith. My plans for the future allow me to relish in success and to live life at its fullest. I don't plan for life changing events nor do I like to think about them. Thus in a manner my life in every moment  becomes is unmanageable if I try to run it.

Taking the example of Mary and submitting to the power and wisdom of God is my best path.  Trying to Google every possible scenario of what the impending next steps are for my medical issues is not (and it seems that Google covers everything). I want to know if I can keep on cycling after what is quite likely surgery. What activities can I continue with? How long will I be out from work? How will this affect my family? The possibilities are endless. Reinhold Niebuhr in his famously composed Serenity Prayer  wrote,

"Living one day at a time, 
Enjoying one moment at a time, 
Accepting hardship as a pathway to peace"

I am sure Mary did the same cherishing every moment with Jesus. Even with the prophetic words of Simeon she endured and for some reason I cannot see her on Google trying to come up with solutions to all of the various messages and signs that were given to her. Imagine her Googling Simeon's proclamation and finding 3.3 million responses. Her response to Simeon and others was of faith.  I will try to do the same. 


1 comment:

Do You Not Know?

THE MAP As the disciples gathered and Thomas and Philip questioned Jesus as he told them where he was going. Still not quite understanding T...