Sunday, December 11, 2016

Patience of a Desert Flower



Hardship and patience are themes that echo through today's Scripture readings. Both of these virtues are not ones most people demonstrate today. The message we receive through secular culture is to avoid hardship whether it be in the suffering of a debilitating disease, the care of those who are in need, and the trials and tribulations of daily life. Patience is a constant challenge as well as we send a text and want a immediate response not taking in consideration that the recipient just might be driving and not answering (imagine that) or be busy with other business. We seem to be much like the people of Jesus's day as the awaited the coming of a king that would redeem their long suffering in our impatience of desiring a quick fix to our problems.

The prophet Isaiah paints a picture of the desert coming to life in the first reading today. Living in Southern California this brings to mind the Anza Borrego Desert which comes to life from February to March with a dazzling display of blooming wildflowers that draw crowds from all over looking to take in the breath taking scenery. For those who are attracted to the annual event there is patient anticipation of the news of the first sets of blooms and updates that one can follow via the park's website. Today being Gaudete Sunday, we too wait for the glorious coming of our Lord. Much like those waiting for the first news of the desert coming alive with color, we are to consider the Good News of our Lord' nativity with joy.

In the  Epistle of James, we are encouraged to be patient much like a farmer waiting for the rains and his crops to mature. Our reward will come in time. For myself as an amateur gardener this theme resonates profoundly. The region which I live in is currently in the sixth year of a drought. The avocado tree which once provided at times two crops in a year now is in the second year of dormancy and lemon tree which although produces lemons, but of a diminished size. I await the rain as do the trees. The trees themselves seem to be going through their own hardship, visibly sick leaves and branches protruding from aged limbs. Other crops which I grow annually produce only half of what was normal, the plants dying off quickly. They need water as does my soul.

We are told to make our hearts firm, to be ready for the coming of the Lord is near. Do not complain about one another, so that you may not be judged (Jas 5:9). Last Saturday I attended an event given by Matthew Kelly, the founder of the Dynamic Catholic organization.  He issued multiple challenges to the audience, one of which I took upon myself.  The challenge was to use a Mass journal and write down whatever came to mind as you listened to the liturgy. From this would come a transformation if we truly reflected and prayed on it. I scribbled down that I wanted to see the good in others.  This week provided an array of events of which I found myself judging and at times using condemning language.  Ah,  the example of hardship. Could I not judge? What I did find is that I was immediately quite aware of my fault. Patiently and painfully I will carry on this challenge, allowing the Holy Spirit to continue to reveal to me that which I cannot see on my own.

My journey is through the desert of my own soul, listening to those who carry the message of love  in hope of finding the Lord.  Asking for the Holy Spirit to guide me in discerning the voices which battle for my attention, not focused on those as Jesus refers to as wearing fine clothes and living in palaces, but the simplicity of John the Baptist. It is there that the flowers will bloom in their glorious colors and bring joy.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Do You Not Know?

THE MAP As the disciples gathered and Thomas and Philip questioned Jesus as he told them where he was going. Still not quite understanding T...