Monday, December 26, 2016

Is Christmas Over? Taking Down the Decorations?

Out for a morning walk in the brisk air I came upon the scene of someone taking down their decorations.  This made me ponder on how many people will be doing the same without giving the action a thought.  Stores will be frantically selling their Christmas season inventory as well as the many people looking to redeem unwanted gifts.  Cities will send their work crews to take down Christmas decorations that so adorned the streets soon after Thanksgiving.  What is the rush? Is the season over?

If one were to read today's Mass readings it my be assumed that the season of joy is indeed over. Images of Stephen being stoned while forgiving his enemies and Jesus warning us to not worry about how we are to speak when being brought in front of leaders. But upon examination it is clear that the Holy Spirit is being referenced. For those of us not in a rush to take down the decorations especially the Nativity scenes that may be placed in our references, we are carrying the spirit.

The Christmas season is not over despite what our neighbors may think.  My family traditions holds that the Nativity scene is not taken down until the Epiphany.  The plastic kings in my front yard have not yet arrived at the makeshift stable with the Holy Family yet.  They will remain standing as my neighbors take down their flashing lights, Santas, and snow scenes. The Holy Spirit will endure.

On a personal level I am challenged to carry the message of Christ's arrival. For me this is not an option. I am challenged by what others may think about how I live as a Catholic. The teachings of the Church are under constant attack by media and society in general. The Christmas tree will endure as will the cross despite the challenges. The deeper question is will I? Will I be strengthened by the example of Stephen and the many martyrs that followed? This will only happen when I take the exhortation of  Paul in Philippians who states "I can do all things in Jesus Christ who strengthens me." Let the Christmas spirit live on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do You Not Know?

THE MAP As the disciples gathered and Thomas and Philip questioned Jesus as he told them where he was going. Still not quite understanding T...