Sunday, December 18, 2016

Don't You Forget About Me

Years ago the group Simple Minds released a song titled "Don't You Forget About Me" which became a hit by itself and as the theme song for the 80's classic "Breakfast Club." I think the song is appropriate for this time of year as we become overwhelmed with the thought of family visiting, what food to make, the presents we have not had time to purchase, and whole slew of other distractors.

The chorus in the song is quite simple (no pun intended) as it repeats Don't you, forget about me. Don't, don't, don't, don't, Don't you forget about me. So as I was watching television this morning and a commercial came on using the lines, it dawned on me that this indeed was a message that I need not forget about who this Christmas is about.

Another line in the song goes as follows: Will you stand above me? Look my way, never love me. A reminder that in the Christmas bustle there are those who we may not even see. The homeless, the small child, the person at work who we just don't want to talk to.

 "Will you recognize me? Call my name or walk on by, " the chorus continues.  Do I recognize that Jesus is in everyone that I come into contact with or is it easier to just move on as if they don't exist because I am in a hurry to the next store?

As this week proceeds I need to take a few moments to reflect on this. A few moments to spread the true meaning of Christmas and not forget about Jesus will serve others well.  And as I do the song will be playing in my head, "Don't, don't, don't, don't, don't you forget about me.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Do You Not Know?

THE MAP As the disciples gathered and Thomas and Philip questioned Jesus as he told them where he was going. Still not quite understanding T...