Monday, February 13, 2017

Signs Everywhere




SIGNS, SIGNS, SIGNS

"Pay attention to the signs'" I would instruct my children as they learned to drive. Likewise I have been told to pay attention to the signs my body gives out when over exerted due to training, or mental exhaustion.

I have never been particularly fond of paying attention to the aforementioned signs. Instead I like to plow on showing everyone that I am above the pain or exhaustion. Part of this is due to being an athlete who is taught to play through the pain. The other part is being a stubborn human being who would prefer to show people that I can prevail at all costs.

Signs are everywhere. As we drive we are directed to stop, decrease speed, slow for bumps, yield to pedestrians, watch for falling rocks, slick roads, follow speed limits, and list goes on forevers it seems. In our workplace we encounter signs for exits, entries, warnings for dangerous materials, laws mandating certain procedures, disaster protocol, and parking. Walk into a restaurant and one finds health ratings, food ratings from social media, and credit card information. There are even games that challenge people to identify signs and symbols.

It seems we are bombarded with this information, but do we pay attention to the spiritual signs that may be sent our way?  I would like to think that when I am connected to God I am more adept to pick out the subtle signs that are sent my way, but that doesn't happen frequently as I am distracted by those earthly signs. The question becomes how one can identify these signs.

BIBLICAL SIGNS

In the Bible the word signs comes up over 200 times.  Ahaz is instructed to ask God for a sign and refuses and the outcome is the prophecy of Jesus birth.  In today's reading Jesus is dismayed at the Pharisees who demand a sign from heaven. Jesus also reminds us to pay attention to the sign of times as well (Mt 16:1).

So here is my attempt to interpret some signs that have presented themselves over my lifetime.










THE STOP SIGN

Not my favorite because it finds a way to interrupt journey to whatever I seem to be doing. Including in this is the traffic signal. I have found that on numerous occasions I will be traveling to a destination in a rush, intent to getting there on time with total disregard to the world around me and the light turns yellow, than quickly red. I immediately become angry, but sometimes in a moment of sanity I reflect on what God may want me to see. 

The stop sign is also a symbolic measure to examine my actions and intentions. "Look both ways or all ways," the driver's training instructor tells the student driver.  Likewise God may be asking me to do the same. 

THE EXIT SIGN

Another that I am not fond of unless I am stuck in traffic and am looking for a shortcut. Many times throughout my life there is a clear message that I need to exit from a current behavior or situation as God has a better plan for me. I would like to stick on the current path even if it means I am mired in the proverbial traffic jam. Sometimes exiting provides relief from a problem other times I find myself in more traffic (confusion). I guess this means that I need a tow truck (God) to pull me along. 


 THE FOOD SIGN

Don't get me wrong, I love food. I love to cook and love to eat. Food is both a necessity and also a comfort when things go awry. Nothing like a fast food sign appearing on the horizon during a long trip. Likewise I need to be fed by spiritual food, Mass attendance, an active prayer life, penance, Scripture reading, communion, not necessarily in that order. 










THE ONE WAY SIGN

Yes, you probably guessed where I am going with this. There is only one way to spiritual life. It is not through my own self will. It is not through obtaining material goods or wealth. It is not by being successful and popular in the work place. Need I say more. My life experience has shown me that none of the above really have been productive in bringing me closer to God. Turn the sign other direction and that is the road I have taken frequently to no avail.

THE FORM A LINE SIGN

Please form a single file line
A reminder of the confessional line and the need to for penance frequently. I encounter this at department stores and it is a reminder to be patient as well. 

MORE SIGNS

I figured I would touch on a few signs as I write this. It seems that upon reflection this post can go on and on. Signs for danger ahead, curvy road, steep grade, steep downhill. All of these are pertinent in our spiritual journey. Just stay straight ahead.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Do You Not Know?

THE MAP As the disciples gathered and Thomas and Philip questioned Jesus as he told them where he was going. Still not quite understanding T...