Thursday, July 13, 2017

Without Cost You Received





Applying Jesus Instructions

Jesus instructs the Apostles to cure the sick, raise the dead, cleanse the lepers, and drive out demons in Matthew's Gospel reading today (MT 10:7).  All this can be applied in context to the time period in which he spoke, but for us the same message applies. Curing the sick for me is interpreted as tending to those who are either sick physically, emotionally, or spiritually. Raising the dead for me is being aware of those who may be spiritually sick and are in need of guidance and direction. Cleansing lepers and driving out demons can be as simple as praying for those in need.  All this said I found that what was most pronounced in the passage is the Jesus statement, "Without cost your received; without cost you are to give."

I forget daily that my own life is a gift as well as those around me. I did nothing to pay for my life nor did I receive advances for any skills or good work I might do.  For one who has been blessed with many skills in my profession it is easy for me to take all of this for granted. I have been generously blessed with a well paying job as well as job security Even so I still at times want to be recognized for my good work not necessarily financially but with praise. The idea of receiving my life as a gift escapes me in these moments.

So this leads me to the next part of the equation; without cost your are to give. Jesus puts everything in perspective as he prepares the Apostles for their mission.  Don't expect anything for the good deeds that you might perform. Do your deeds and gratefully move on knowing that you are guided by the Spirit. Quite difficult in a culture that seems to be headed in a direction of entitlement. It seems that many have the sense that they must be rewarded for just being themselves and that society as a whole owes them something.

 Finding Silence

Over the last few days I have been engaged in a sort of mini-retreat listening to podcasts from the Jesuits of Great Britain.  The various pieces use the poetry of Gerard Manley Hopkins to guide the listener to find the beauty of his words along with encountering God's amazing creations around us. This to me is benefit of taking on such an exercise. It allows me to view much of what I can take for granted as a gift as well as comprehending the fact that I am clearly receiving without a cost.  At the end of each session the Suscipe is recited bringing to close this quiet and reflective time. Without a cost you received.


Suscipe 
St Ignatius of Loyola
Take, Lord, and receive all my liberty,
my memory, my understanding,
and my entire will,
All I have and call my own.

You have given all to me.
To you, Lord, I return it.

Everything is yours; do with it what you will.
Give me only your love and your grace,
that is enough for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do You Not Know?

THE MAP As the disciples gathered and Thomas and Philip questioned Jesus as he told them where he was going. Still not quite understanding T...