Sunday, September 27, 2015

Giving a cup of water

Pope Francis' visit to the United States has brought increased attention to the Church as well as providing us an opportunity to embody his message which is profoundly reflected in today's readings.  His constant example of giving especially to children who are disabled or disenfranchised is cause for personal reflection.  The prevailing message in the past week's readings seems to be one of mercy and of not immersing ourselves in the passing world around us, but to follow God.

Matthew gave up his profitable post as a tax collector and followed Jesus. Jesus instructs the Twelve that in order to follow him they must take nothing on the journey. Today James warns us of the evils of allowing wealth to be our ultimate goal.  Not coincidentally, I have been reading a book entitled Love, Skip, Jump: Start Living the Adventure of Yes, by Shelene Bryan.  The book details the author's struggle with success, wealth, and the life changing experiences she and her family had when they decided to make personal sacrifices in order to better serve God and those less fortunate.  Each chapter provides the reader with Shelene's experience of surrendering to God's will during the course of her adult life and the life changing rewards that came putting those less fortunate first.

Being five or so years from retirement, God willing, this book and this week's messages have provided me an opportunity for great reflection.  I do want to retire comfortably and with children in college there is the challenge that many people of my age face. Do I sometimes obsess with doing both? Yes! As James states "You have stored up treasure for the last days." Instead of this obsession with saving that sometimes causes me great angst, I realized that this must be left to God.  As Shelene Bryan states in a chapter about selling her family's house, "let God be the realtor." Taking the Pope's example of simplicity, Selene Bryant's message of skipping comfort, and the readings this week reminds me that are far more important things to ponder on.  Pope Francis once said "the first in the Church are those most in need, humanly, spiritually, materially, the neediest."(Magnificat September 2015). I sometimes forget this as I become immersed in the daily grind. His challenge I take seriously.  My prayer today is "Lord you are creator of all, both big and small.  Grant that I may have my eyes opened to those that our world has diminished.  Grant that I not focus on the material, but on the need of those in my midst.  Open my ears to their call. This I ask through the Holy Name of Jesus. Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do You Not Know?

THE MAP As the disciples gathered and Thomas and Philip questioned Jesus as he told them where he was going. Still not quite understanding T...