Saturday, September 19, 2015

Which Seed Am I?

The parable of the seeds that Jesus tells the crowds and later his disciples in private prompted a reflection this morning.  One of my passions is vegetable gardening specifically of tomatoes. I dabble with seed harvest of heirlooms and with other vegetables as well.  As any gardener knows there is a chance that volunteers will sprout up during the course of the year after the fruits have fallen and decompose in the soil.  Somewhere in my neighborhood there is a fig tree because every year a seedling will sprout up in my backyard as the birds have carried the fruit in the air and the falling seeds make their home in the yards in the area.

Back to the tomatoes.  Based on the number of seeds that are in a tomato that has fallen off a plant it is evident that only one or two seem to germinate and sprout as a volunteer.  When I see these volunteers excitedly I tender the soil and find a place for the young plant to grow in hope of producing a new crop.

In the parable Jesus refers to the seeds that fall on the path and are taken away, those that are on rocky ground and have no root, and those that fall among thorns.  Throughout my life I have fallen in each of those categories.  Now more grounded in faith I found myself struggling to cut away the thorns that come with everyday anxieties and the draws of pleasure. Since I compost there are invariably seeds of many types including weeds that choke out plant growth by wrapping themselves around vines or vigorously spreading across the ground.  When these seeds germinate they attack those volunteer plants and the struggle is on for survival.  Only with careful weeding can I assure that the volunteer plant will endure to produce a bountiful crop. I find the parallel of the thorns and my own garden quite profound.  God in his enduring mercy through the workings of the Holy Spirit is constantly weeding the garden of my sinful soul, pulling out those weeds of anxiety and material pleasure, but careful not to disturb the germinating fruit seed that will hopefully produce generosity and loving actions.  In my daily struggles I need the composted rich soil, in my case Scripture readings, prayer and meditation and most importantly to overcome the weeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do You Not Know?

THE MAP As the disciples gathered and Thomas and Philip questioned Jesus as he told them where he was going. Still not quite understanding T...