Sunday, September 13, 2015

Who do people say I am?

Jesus question to the disciples as they make their way to the outlying villages of Caesarea and Philippi seems to be a conversational piece.  But in the ever thought provoking and probing manner that Jesus embodies he then asks the disciples "Who do you say I am?" The following discourse on suffering shakes the group up with clear intention.  Separating ourselves from our own willful desires to the will of God is a consummate challenge.

The very question posed by Jesus is also directed at us.  Who do people say I am? Do my actions reflect that of a Christ-loving person who embraces suffering and taking up the cross daily? Having endured a back injury recently that has taken me off my bike indefinitely as I trained for an endurance ride, I find myself constantly challenged. I resolved to take my right to complain about my pain to God and not project my hardship on to those around me.  This has proven quite a challenge coupled with the beginning of a new school year which brings the usual barrage of technology and logistical issues. With good intention I have tried not to complain in most cases, but human fragility and thinking as human do have brought frustration and stress. I have found that my actions are very human-like. I imagine that those around me would find a quick answer to the question "who do people say I am?" Yes I am trying to save my life and yes I am not thinking as God does. Here lies my challenge. Will I embrace the words of Isaiah in the first reading today, "The Lord opens my ear that I may hear" and "The Lord God is my help therefore I am not disgraced" or do I think as Peter? This reflection always leads me to consider the millions of people that are suffering without food, a home and the comforts that I have. The second reading from James challenges me to get out of myself and look to those whose need is much greater than mine.

My prayer for today is  "Lord grant that I take upon the crosses of daily living and suffering every reminding myself that many others are suffering more than myself. Grant it o gracious and ever merciful God that when I am tempted to complain that your Spirit guides me to pray for those less fortunate. Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do You Not Know?

THE MAP As the disciples gathered and Thomas and Philip questioned Jesus as he told them where he was going. Still not quite understanding T...