Sunday, June 25, 2017

The Challenges of Living out the Gospel








The writer of today's Psalm 69 beckons the Lord to answer him in times of trial as he bears insults for his zeal for the Lord. This provoked me to think about how far I am willing to go to carry the Gospel message. Persecution from friends, acquaintances, even from family members, abound as the author calls on the Lord.  Today's first reading from Jeremiah reveals a similar theme as well, but remains steady in his faith and calling on the Lord. And Jesus message to us in Matthew's Gospel is quite clear: "Fear no one."( MT 10:26-30) Some months back I wrote of the call of John Baptist and the challenge we face to carry the message in our own personal wilderness. I am frequently reminded of those that carry message despite the threat of death especially in churches in the Middle East.  The stories of those people who celebrate Mass despite in face of insurmountable odds of persecution and even eradication such as the Chaldean Christians of Iraq and in Syria. I do think that we here including myself have become too comfortable with being Christian as our faith can be just in name and not always realize the extent of living the Gospel message.

THE EXAMPLE OF ST MARGARET MARY ALACOQUE

Living out faith in today's society is a challenge and
 perhaps it is best addressed by a review of how
this is done at a personal level.  There are plenty of opportunities to do so but the larger question for me comes to this: Am I willing to decrease so that Christ may increase as the message of John the Baptist resonates deep in my soul? I think of the cost that St. Margaret Mary Alacoque was willing to take in order to remain faithful to the devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus. Undergoing insults and beatings from those in her order because of zeal to the call from Jesus She prevailed with her message despite  enduring the opposition for over six years.  Not that I am being asked to be a saint, but I have a difficult time in talking about controversial issues involving questions of faith with those that I work with because I fear the backlash and reputation that might arise.  Yet I am quite aware that the Church is under attack because of its unwavering adherence to teachings that have prevailed for centuries. I am at the best too comfortable with my faith in these instances. It is easy for me to say that I am Catholic, but much harder to proclaim openly my faith and stand up to those controversial issues.

IS GOD TALKING TO ME?

Jesus states that, "Nothing concealed will not be revealed, nor secret that will not be known." My interior soul, my unwillingness to be open about the teachings of Church, even to those close to me is on trial here.  I am asked to speak in the light and proclaim the message on the rooftops. I am being appointed a messenger (IS 49:1-6).  The readings from Friday through today are directed at me. The people that have gone before me in scripture and those who live out the message under duress in the Middle East, Africa, and Asia exemplify this.

So what is it that I lack? It comes down to this faith that God will indeed watch over me, for I am worth more than the sparrows. Yet I fall short. Perhaps I am not being asked to proclaim in the public forum, but being guided to serve in other ways. Do my social media postings reveal my faith? I try to take this very seriously steering away from posts that bring on hateful speech and the like. Each temptation to write a response to those I disagree with is met with the question do I really need to do this? Do I openly engage in gossip both at home and work or do I try to find something good in the person being targeted.  Ultimately am I denying Jesus before others? The answer is yes, yes, and yes. Only through the gracious Sacred Heart of Jesus can I continue on.

1 comment:

  1. To whom it may concern,

    My name is Fr. Stephen Arabadjis. I am a member of the Society of St. Pius X. But I am in my 7th year of Sabbatical.
    Therefore I was hoping your group could do a 54 day rosary novena for my intentions. But any prayers and sacrifices would be greatly appreciated. I know Our Lady will reward you generously for this.

    In Our Lady,
    Fr. Arabadjis

    P.S. Thanking you in advance, since I don't always get all my communications.

    ReplyDelete

Do You Not Know?

THE MAP As the disciples gathered and Thomas and Philip questioned Jesus as he told them where he was going. Still not quite understanding T...