Sunday, December 4, 2016

Calling all John the Baptists? Are you one?

Reflecting on the readings today, first I want to extend prayers to our brothers and sisters who have been affected by the wildfires in the Southeast. What words come to mind with the first line of today's Gospel, "John the Baptist appeared preaching in the desert of Judea and saying, "Repent for kingdom of heaven is at hand."  Knowing what follows with the vivid description of John, the words radical, simple, fiery, come to mind. John shook people up with his life of simplicity and his oratory. He was that feared fire in the wilderness. The intensity of his message brought many to him as they felt compelled to repent of their sinful way of life for fear of what might come.  Wildfires in themselves burn old growth and from that arises new life. John's message was direct as he scolded the Pharisees and Sadducees with the words, "Produce good fruit as evidence of your repentance."

Advent is a time when we  are directed from the pulpit to go to confession, to review our past, repent, change and prepare for the coming of our Savior. It can also be a time when we reflect on the today's Gospel reading about spreading the message.  Based on what we see in our world today, there is a need for many John the Baptists.  The strife, anger, violence, and total disregard for humanity that permeates the news cycle is alarming.  Where is that voice in the wilderness? Where are the people that are going to Jordan? Or perhaps better stated, where is that river? Is it the mall or preoccupation with the business of the secular Christmas season. One would think that based on world events churches would be full, busting at the seams, but we see otherwise. So the question begs, where is the voice, or better yet who is the voice? Could it be that we are asked to be that John? Scary proposition in thinking that we could be being asked to be that voice. Do I have the courage to proclaim that message, to live that life of simplicity?  Maybe.

Is my life being lived in a simple manner and people identify me as a Catholic in my actions? This in itself is worthy of me reflecting daily. Calling people to repent is not something I am to comfortable with.  Pope Benedict made reference to repentance in his Post-Synodal Apostolic Exhortation (no. 93) that "the idea of not using words necessarily but using a word that disrupts, which calls to conversion and open the way to an encounter with one through whom a new humanity flowers." I know that I can be stronger in standing up to the cultural relativism that permeates the world around me.

John was not afraid to call out what he viewed as wrong and obviously did not fear what might come of him because of his teachings. If I am reminded that my very faith is being attacked how does it matter if I people may not like me if I stand up for what is right, what is the Truth? Knowing how many of saints suffered persecution for their words and actions with their ultimate reward not being how they were viewed in their life, but with reward of eternal life, I can take solace. But not trying to carry out the message through my will, but praying for discernment on how this is to be done and making sure that I have repented for my own transgressions is my first step to this call. Then God willing can I be an example of John and carry the message.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Do You Not Know?

THE MAP As the disciples gathered and Thomas and Philip questioned Jesus as he told them where he was going. Still not quite understanding T...