Sunday, June 4, 2017

The Paradox of Being Locked In





What is "locked in?"

Being locked in has several meanings. In the biblical sense today's reading from John reveals the disciples locked in the upper room due to fear of the Jews. In today's vernacular being locked in means someone is truly focused on something.  For those who follow sports, the images of a golfer who seems land all of his approach shots on the green, or basketball player such as Stephen Curry who seems to hit shots no matter where he is on the floor, or the baseball pitcher such as Clayton Kershaw who hits all parts of the strike zone, come to mind.  One might feel locked in at work being able to complete whatever task they are given or for those who teach like myself your  a lesson makes a connection with your students in such a way that they actually discuss it out of class.

Am I lock in?

The term presents a clear paradox. I find myself locked into my own little world when I dwell on what I want or I try to escape by jumping on my phone or my computer to access the world outside. I thus escape or do I?  Although I may rationalize this action is giving me a break from the world I may not be facing problems that need to be addressed or may be completely ignorant of the needs of people around me.  Thus the paradox.

Society is full of distraction especially in the age of portables devices. I talk to young teens who tell me of being in the zone or "being locked in" while playing a video games for hours.  The endless dazzling, fast paced action that is pervasive in these games is frightening. Yes they are locked in a sense, but it is clear that this is not what the Lord wants.  Adults are no different using their phones with social media, making sure that everyone knows about their latest doings or keeping up with their "friends" or latest celebrity happenings.  Apps for just about everything create a locked in environment that is staggeringly addictive.

Ultimately the desire to escape or get out is really locking one in a world that shuts the door on spirituality and manifestation of the gifts of the Holy Spirit. The door is shut, locked and for some the key is thrown away. The paradox of escape is really an enslavement to whatever the person desires.

The Need to be Locked In


Sometimes it necessary to be locked in without distraction. I find that prayer
in a silent place is necessary for  productive spiritual reflection. The blare of the TV or noise in general are distractions that quickly take me away from my focus.  Early morning meditation seems to work for me as I am truly focused most of the time. In a way it being locked in much like a basketball player but with a different purpose. I can shoot from all areas of my needy heart and it will be received by my spiritual Father. Sometimes answers to prayers through the heeding the voice of the Spirit are quite clear. Other times the basket seems to have a top over it and nothing goes in.  Either way the concept of being locked in here is better than the alternative. 


Opening the door 

"Peace be with you," was the words of Jesus to his fearful disciples. "As the Father has sent me, so I send you." Are you being sent? The way one knows is not be locked in.  I have found that for myself TV shows, social media, video games (of which I know little of how to use those darn controls), and other forms of getting locked in do little for me.  Although it took some time to figure out, I am better off reading, writing, riding my bike, or spending time in my garden or with close friends, thus opening the door to a world of possibility to serve.  




No comments:

Post a Comment

Do You Not Know?

THE MAP As the disciples gathered and Thomas and Philip questioned Jesus as he told them where he was going. Still not quite understanding T...