Sunday, June 24, 2018

The Call




SIGNS OF THE TIMES

As I reflect on the events of this week in our nation and view the vitriolic rhetoric that is hurled through cyberspace and the news cycle I am more convinced that we as a nation need to take a step back and truly look at our faith.  Recently I was driving and saw a bumper sticker that read something like this "Pray the Rosary, Save our Nation." How appropriate I thought, but how many people really take that to heart.  I am disturbed by social media posts by people who declare themselves Christian in my own circle who then react in such a non-Christian way to people who demonstrate compassion for immigrants, people in need, etc.  Where are the prophets? Where is the voice or better yet who is the voice?

THE MESSAGE OF JOHN

And then we come upon today's Solemnity of John the Baptist. John broke the mold of what the typical prophet should be.  Just maybe we are asked to do the same. What if we all took upon the life of simplicity and proclaimed as John did the coming of Christ? Or better yet what if we actually took upon the teachings of Christ in turning the other cheek, praying for our persecutors and those who oppress the poor instead of using the angry but empty blares of social media?

ON CUE

Pope Francis' intention for the month was "That social networks may work towards that inclusiveness which respects others for their differences." A quite appropriate prayer this month in our nation indeed. I have been challenged from reacting on numerous occasions as I read incendiary responses from people I know who post reflect ideology that I do not agree with. So far with God's grace I have not posted a single reply. 



HOPE AND THE CALL

Today's second reading from Isaiah proclaims, "Though I thought I had toiled in vain/ and for nothing, uselessly, spent my strength,/ yet my reward is with the Lord. It seems at time that very passage is relevant today. The voice of love is truly crying out in the desert landscape, " Make way for the Lord." It seems to be drowned out by the almost animal-like howls of hate. Living out the Gospel is a truly a calling. 

Think of traveling in through the desert today. At least in some areas of the the Southwest United States one can find areas where there is no cell phone coverage. For some their is that panic. "Oh no there is no access!" Perhaps we should take that to heart as a blessing. What if we actively sought to travel to the deserts of our own hearts, put down the phone or device, and reflect on the poverty of our hearts, the parched landscape of our interior, and listened for the true voice. Perhaps we are asked to be that light to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do You Not Know?

THE MAP As the disciples gathered and Thomas and Philip questioned Jesus as he told them where he was going. Still not quite understanding T...