Sunday, November 13, 2016

The Gospel Truth

For many years I was a typical church attendee who could be found in the pews every Sunday. I listened to the readings, went through the motions during the liturgy of the Eucharist, and then left without taking much home.  I was the example that Jesus stated in Matthew 13:5 in reference to the seed that fell on stony ground.  Enlightened, but only temporarily because I was not willing to fully give myself to God. By the grace of God through a variety of life changing events my eyes were opened as well as my ears and my deference to moral relativism was exposed. Over half of my adult life was spent hearing, but not listening, so I have a lot of ground to make up.

Throughout this week we are told about how to prepare ourselves for the future. Jesus warns his disciples about the times to come and that there will be suffering. The word suffering is a reoccurring theme. But we are told to have faith. The various Psalms invoke Gods presence and help for those who follow the Lord. Today as I read the Scripture passages, I am pierced by how the relevant the Word is today. Paul alludes to the persecution that those who follow Christ will endure. There are many who despise the teachings of the Church. Those who are true to the teachings are seen as foolish, out of touch. "The Church itself is a tyranny" or "those Catholics need to get with the times," I have heard. For me the challenge is to stand up to the truths of the Church. I am surrounded my many who know my beliefs, but I am in many cases not willing to speak out when people openly condemn the Church.   Am I afraid of suffering or losing friendships? Yes. 

The intercessions for today in the Magnificat challenge me to pray for courage when our faith is challenged and not fall in the temptation of compromising my beliefs.  It further challenges me not to allow those who profess their Christian beliefs to neglect their duties.  Similarly the intercessions for Saturday which just happen to be on the Feast of St Josephat, who himself worked tirelessly to unite the Eastern and Western churches until his violent death, ask us to pray for unity for the Churches of East and West as well pray for courage during times of discouragement. I believe that there is no coincidence in the Word of God as it applies to our times. We have been warned about what happens to a society when it turns from God by both  Saint John Paul II and by Pope Francis. 

The first reading from Malachi issues a stark warning as well. We are reassuringly told at the end of the reading  that the Lord will shine upon those who fear him. Today's Gospel passage brings on a further challenge in standing up for what we believe. Jesus reassures us that even after all the turmoil and persecution we will be given wisdom to stand for what is right. We shall not need to think about what to say and that through perseverance you will secure your lives.(Lk 21:5-19)  Frightening yes. I see much truth to these passages. 

As I confront all of the past weeks events and think about the future I can become discouraged, anxious and fearful. However, I harken back to the Reinhold Niebuhr prayer that I learned years ago, that has comforted me in times of trial and tribulation "God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. Living one day at a time; enjoying one moment at time; accepting hardships as a pathway to peace; taking as He did this sinful world as it is, not as I would have it; trusting that He will make all things right if I surrender to His will; that I may reasonably in this life and supremely happy with Him in the next." 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do You Not Know?

THE MAP As the disciples gathered and Thomas and Philip questioned Jesus as he told them where he was going. Still not quite understanding T...