Friday, November 11, 2016

A Struggling Catholic's Lament

If there has ever been a trying time in our nation's history it is now.  As a history teacher with a deep understanding of the trends, this particular time is ever so challenging.  However, above all is my faith in God. This weeks readings and especially today's are a reminder for me that there is only one God. Putting my total faith in leaders and in people only brings me turmoil, anxiety and resentment.

Am I disturbed by the events of this week? For sure as I view the protests and the continued hate that from people who are unable to accept the outcome. Conversely in dealing with people who are directly affected by the political rhetoric that permeated the campaign I am confronted with their anxieties about the future on a daily basis. So I ask myself where is God in all of this? What message is being sent? Where are we going as a nation? I am also being asked by those that I am surrounded by what is next? The weight of the uncertain future has now become a thought in most of my down time.

It seems to me that this is the time that I as a faith believing Catholic must turn to God when overcome with these challenges. John states in his second letter today, "let us love one another." One of Mother Teresa's greatest quotes is  If you judge people, you have no time to love them.”  It is also one that I heard at least three to four times on the radio while driving to work this week.  In my human frailty I have found myself in the position  to judge on numerous occasions.  And yes I failed. Scared, angry, and broken.  


I am reassured when I read today's response in Psalm 119, "Blessed are they who follow the law of the Lord" and again in Wednesday's Psalm 46, "God is our refuge and our strength, an ever present help in distress." I am reassured when I find the time to sincerely pray that God's will be done and reflect on all that is good. I am reassured that no matter how trying this time the teaching of our faith will prevail and that from this time will rise those who seek reconciliation and peace. God Bless America on this Veteran's day. 


1 comment:

  1. I too failed and tomorrow is my post election confession day. I wasn't ever afraid of anything sans the enemy interfering in the process, as he will do. However, I began to see one side as evil...and this may have been an over judgment! I certainly stopped praying for that side, except to pray they LOSE!
    So I will confess to finding one group unworthy of prayer. This, to me, is a serious sin. Funny how subtle this huge error can be.
    As for our future...I stayed with my church in my vote...and so I repeat Jesus's favorite and one of His most used sayings...."Fear not" which brings me peace.

    So as we let the distress go and fear not, knowing that he is with us, and always has been...Let us be a channel for His peace in out country.
    Lets get behind this President...as we have so many others....whether we selected them or not. This is something our youngsters need to embrace...we are One Nation, Under God.

    ReplyDelete

Do You Not Know?

THE MAP As the disciples gathered and Thomas and Philip questioned Jesus as he told them where he was going. Still not quite understanding T...