Sunday, February 7, 2016

The Fishing Trip

"Woe is me, I am doomed! We have caught nothing" From these two phrases, the first from Isaiah and the second from Gospel of Luke, I find despair in the immediate moment of both events.  Life's tests and situations bring out the some of our worst emotional moments. I find myself looking back and  using the word doomed to apply on what might be considered a dismal, hopeless event.  Nothing is a word used loosely in society.  "What is wrong," one might ask another, only to hear the reply, "nothing." The reality there is something wrong.  Fishing can be  full of doom and nothing. What have I been fishing for in my life? Financial security, prestige, the best clothes and electronics? Peter's reply to Jesus resonates with me as I harken back to my childhood days when fishing on the local river or creek and an approaching fisherman would ask, "Have you caught anything?" The immediate curt response would be "nothing."

However, we are caught in the moment and many times do not see the chance to cast our lines elsewhere to the more rewarding catch.  Doomed I am when confronted with a stressful situation and perhaps more disturbing is how attitude is projected on others around me. Later upon reflection I see how the event has evolved to a rewarding experience much like that of Isaiah who in the state of despair and brokenness is cleansed.  More importantly is his response to the subsequent calling to serve the Lord.  Throughout my life I have felt unworthy of serving the Lord.  My sinfulness and human brokenness cause inner turmoil and yes, like Peter I wish the Lord would depart from me so that I can wallow in pain. Blinded by this I do not see the greater catch or opportunities that lie ahead, but instead am caught in the whirlpool of emotions that seem all consuming. Can something good come from the situation, the depths of turmoil? It is not for me to decide.

Taking both Isaiah's response and Jesus reply to Peter, my answer should be "Here I am. I am ready to leave behind the past, the fear, and go on the fishing trip." Knowing this I need to keep in mind that when my line becomes slack, the doom and nothingness that are obscured in the depths,  in many instances will become a greater catch by God's grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do You Not Know?

THE MAP As the disciples gathered and Thomas and Philip questioned Jesus as he told them where he was going. Still not quite understanding T...