Sunday, February 28, 2016

The Patience of the Gardener

Anyone familiar with fig trees knows that the seeds of the fruit can easily germinate in the ground after being blown in the wind or being carried off by hungry birds. The seedling appears in the oddest places in one's yard but once it is rooted well in decent soil it quickly shoots up in size. From today's Gospel passage the fig tree is the focal point as a conversation between a gardener and an orchard owner assess the usefulness of tree that does not bear fruit. For me the passage provides a striking example of God's mercy and patience with sinners. As a gardener, God allow provides the fertilizer of love and patience even in our darkest hours. Each granule of fertilizer is allowed to dissolve and provide sustenance even though it is no longer visible.

As a sinner I can  recall  all too easily the times where I as the fig tree was withered, practically dead and yet in his infinite mercy, the soil of my soul was cultivated, worked, and the weeds were removed so that I could further grown. The gardener replies to the frustrated owner that time should be allowed for work around the tree and if it then does not bear fruit it can be cut down. I would like to think that God never will give up on me.  However, I see myself as the owner in many cases with my interactions with others.  My patience as with the soil is exhausted.  Perhaps God has a plan that I as the impatient owner am not aware of.  If only I had the fortitude of the gardener, willing to spend some time working the soil and providing fertilizer so the fig tree could be fruitful. As a gardener myself,  I value the time working the soil, removing the weeds and clustered seedlings so that fruit can be prolific.  I pray that I have the same compassion and love towards others.

I can hope that I could be ready as Moses and recognize that God is present in the flaming bush as well and respond, "Here I am," then readily spread the fig seed so that it may sprout on the fertile soil of others. Likewise,  if I am to take today's Scripture passages seriously as Paul warn's us, I should never assume that I stand on solid ground of my own, but realize that the fig tree of life, the risen Christ is my foundation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do You Not Know?

THE MAP As the disciples gathered and Thomas and Philip questioned Jesus as he told them where he was going. Still not quite understanding T...