Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Can I Pass?

Reflecting on the readings today I see Gideon and Peter expressing doubt about what is being asked of them. Gideon from a lowly family is asked to lead Israel over Midian whereas Peter is asking Jesus what is in this journey for us if we have gave up everything already. In our society planning out one's future is considered wise and many look upon those who have such plans such as "I will go to college obtain my degree and then go to grad school and become a doctor,"  as intelligent and goal driven. I once aspired to greater things as well, but God had other plans for me.  Don't get me wrong planning is a necessary part of life.  But when plans forget the will of God the obsession of money, power and prestige take over only leading one further from God's intended purpose for us.

Who then can pass through the eye of the needle? Have I really surrendered everything? Think of passing through the eye of the needle.  There is no room for extra baggage as it will prevent one from squeezing through.  Has the obsession for the afore mentioned vices hindered the passing? What else am I hanging on to? Resentment, anger, sloth? Each one of these prevents me from being in full union with God and others so I my as well discard them. If I struggle with this then I can ask God to help me for I wish to pass.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do You Not Know?

THE MAP As the disciples gathered and Thomas and Philip questioned Jesus as he told them where he was going. Still not quite understanding T...