Saturday, August 29, 2015

Proclaiming the Gospel Like John the Baptist

Reflecting on this morning's intercession in the Magnificat the last line of the prayer states, "For those tempted to abandon the Gospel when it is inconvenient: - grant them strength in their faith.  Reading and pondering on the sacrifice that John the Baptist made is in itself inconvenient.  "He must increase, but I must decrease," states John.  Pretty heavy words in our society of cultural relativism and self-gratification.

A constant struggle in my life has been how I can increase without much thought for where Jesus can make inroads to guide me.  Timothy says "be persistent whether it is convenient or inconvenient' (2 Tm 4:2). Throughout my daily interactions with others I am fairly adept at preserving my image, but equally careful not to proclaim my faith too strongly as not to others.  However, cautiously I have opened up to others about my adherence to Church teachings and when doing so I find that there is a common bond even with my Protestant brothers and sisters. Perhaps this where I decrease leaving my fear of what others may think of me and my holding on to perseverance of self.

This being said it is not easy to proclaim one's faith in our society. I fear that at times by doing so I may be abandon by people who have known me for years. Controversial topics abound and the lack of tolerance for those who proclaim the Truth from Scripture is evident in homes, the workplace and especially in social media.  However, letting Jesus increase even when the temptation to abandon the Gospel requires a leap of faith.  My prayer for today is:

"O my God who is by side at all times, grant me the ability to faithfully proclaim your Truth even when it is inconvenient or when I want to hide my beliefs. Grant me the courage of your servant John the Baptist speak out to wrongdoings and injustice not for my glory but for your kingdom and glory. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do You Not Know?

THE MAP As the disciples gathered and Thomas and Philip questioned Jesus as he told them where he was going. Still not quite understanding T...