Saturday, February 21, 2015

Follow Me

Reflecting on today's readings, message of following the way of Christ, I am reminded of the many years that through my own self-centeredness and rebelliousness I ignored the call.  I would constantly find myself on the opposite side of Isaiah's "If you." Mired in the darkness referred to in the passage my pursuits were for my own reward. Malicious speech, false accusations, pride, and many other defects of character were common.

Only when I recognized my ways,  left my post as a collector of the wrongs and assessor of debts of others did I come upon the infinite mercy of Jesus. "Teach me your way, O Lord, that I may walk in your truth," the psalmist cries.  This new way of life was painful at times. Acknowledging that I was and still am a sinner, not healthy or in need of a physician was as Saint Peter Damian said "one must in order to make any task easier, try a more difficult thing in order to make the nettles bearable."  The daily inventory of my actions resounds as the psalmist once again acknowledges his weakness, "Have mercy on me, O Lord, for to you I call all the day."  Lest I forget when I approach the altar during communion that I am called as a sinner and my Savior in his abounding mercy and kindness takes me into his arms. Yes the Lord has spoken and I am following his call.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do You Not Know?

THE MAP As the disciples gathered and Thomas and Philip questioned Jesus as he told them where he was going. Still not quite understanding T...