Sunday, November 19, 2017

Talent Search






GOD TALENTS VERSUS SOCIETY'S TALENTS

Pope Francis alludes to the word talent not necessarily as an individual quality as performing well academically or as an athlete, finding the blessings of the Lord and then using them to promote the betterment of the kingdom (Magnificat Vol 19 pg 284). This definition is one that conflicts with our society that focuses on the concept of individual achievement.  I myself  like to think that I am talented in certain areas such as leadership, teaching, and some minimal athletic skills. To these I have not given much thought about how these talents are not based on my prowess as a person, but actually graced by God.

Much of my adulthood has been spent on developing my talents for my own recognition especially in the area of my profession, teaching. I have been honored for my abilities and skills, but I never really spent much time on how I can become a better teacher in order to increase God's kingdom here on earth.  However, slowly and gradually, much like the sloth in the recent GEICO commercial who draws a straight line on a paper, I have realized that my profession is not just about the talent of teaching, but I can bring the love of Christ to others as well in various encounters throughout the day.

VISIBLE TALENTS

For the last few years I have heard and read the statement,  "can you be identified as Catholic?" I would like to think that the blessing of my faith is also a talent. Certainly most of my students know my faith identification because we share things in common such as similar faith traditions, the sacraments and other customs. "Oh I know he is Catholic because he goes to this church or he talked about Ash Wednesday," might be a common response. Identification itself is not a talent though. Truly using the gifts that I have discovered in my latter years such as compassion, forgiveness, and mercy is what I would like to think as using my God talents.

By relying on only what is visible and is identifiable to others I am no different to the servant that buries his talent in the ground. I do not search but become complacent in what I have.  This in itself is a real danger as I become blinded to the opportunities to serve others thus shut out the kingdom of God. Sometimes what I see as talent is more of a delusion of grandeur as I think I am serving God, but upon reflection when the opportunity seems to have failed I can see that it was not about me, but about serving others even for short while and developing long lasting friendships.



DIGGING 

Jesus said "for everyone who has, more will be given and he will grow rich; but from the one who has not, even what he has will be taken away." (MT 25:29)It is important to distinguish that this is not about material riches as we are bombarded by the pre-Thanksgiving ads for Christmas, but for the spiritual gifts. Discovering them or better said allowing God to reveal them might require some digging in our own histories to discard that which has prevented us finding them. Getting rid of those unnecessary burdens which might have weighted us down, and shoveling the dirt off of us so we can experience the light of Christ can then reveal those talents which are truly God-given.  Approaching Advent is a opportune time to find those hidden treasures that have been buried, but are awaiting to be used. For me this means spending time prayer to dig and shovel off that which is preventing me to fully use my talents.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do You Not Know?

THE MAP As the disciples gathered and Thomas and Philip questioned Jesus as he told them where he was going. Still not quite understanding T...