Sunday, July 10, 2016

Passing by on the other side

The Gospel story of the Good Samaritan always strikes a chord with me.  It reveals my self-centeredness and lack of compassion which can be difficult to reconcile with. Years ago I was in a downtown area of a large city and was approached my a homeless man who was looking for an additional shirt to keep him warm from the elements which at the time were quite frigid. I was fully decked out in multiple layers of clothing and told the man I could not spare anything at the time. That in itself was not true as I had been blessed with a good job, adequate housing and clothing, but I proceeded on my business in the area not thinking anything of my actions.  However that image still haunts me today.

I was as the just like the priest and the Levite in the Gospel a passerby not willing to be a laborer for God's work.  In a world full of self-centeredness there seems to be a lack of compassion towards those less fortunate. However, there is a Good Samaritan in all of us.  Some people have a natural inclination to helping the needy, poor, and homeless.  They are as the State Farm commercial says "a good neighbor." If you struggle in this area try reading this book, Love, Skip, and Jump by Shelene Bryan.  It has helped me to to carry out the Gospel message of the Good Samaritan with a wealth of ideas.  Carrying a small care package in your car of socks, a bottle of water, hotel toiletries from recent trips and a granola bar was one that appealed to me.

But the struggle still goes on. There are endless numbers of homeless and ill people on the streets where I live. I can choose to look the other way when I am driving by or a quick prayer can be all that I offer. I believe that we are called to be a good neighbor.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do You Not Know?

THE MAP As the disciples gathered and Thomas and Philip questioned Jesus as he told them where he was going. Still not quite understanding T...