Sunday, October 28, 2018

A Nation Going Spiritually Blind





THERE IS ALWAYS AND ANSWER

Although full of political opinions and a student of history, I don't usually provide commentary on current events. However, the recent events this week have brought me to do so, but in a non-political manner. I am thoroughly disgusted at the vitriol that has ravaged our nation and I truly think that we as a people have lost our moral compass. Immigrants, people of color, and religious beliefs are under attack and vilified daily. What is the answer?  For me it can be found in today's Gospel.

I as a person have many spiritual blind spots. Fortunately, through the trials and errors of life and the infinite grace of God I can ask much like Bartimaeus, "Jesus, son of David have pity on me."  I cannot imagine being blind, but having recently been diagnosed with a cataract I have a sense as what it is like as my vision is clouded.  It is so with sin, and hate. It begins with something relatively small, maybe some offhand comment or action. It doesn't seem like much and so it is repeated.

I find that this pattern continues on a daily basis from many people in the public light. What concerns me is that we as a nation have not come to realize our blindness. How can a nation call itself Christian when such vitriol is become common place and normalized? The followers have quashed the voice that says, "repent, reconcile yourself to God, admit your sins and become new again."

IT BEGINS WITH ME

So I begin today by answering Jesus question, "What do you want me to do for you?" "Jesus give me the strength so see my own prejudices, hatred and sin.  Help me love and pray for those who continue to spread hate, divisiveness, and violence against all of your people. Let there be peace in the world and let it begin with me."

I also will begin praying the Divine Mercy Chaplet daily for those I dislike and find hard to love. Addicted the newsfeed on my phone, I will take time instead to pray for those who spread the vitriol across our nation and world.  One prayer at a time, one person at a time.

O blessed Virgin Mary pray for us!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Do You Not Know?

THE MAP As the disciples gathered and Thomas and Philip questioned Jesus as he told them where he was going. Still not quite understanding T...