Sunday, August 12, 2018

Ingredients





FIRST BITE

The first bite into the the pasta plate in front of you is bursting with a multitude of different tastes.  The zesty sauce brought alive with wine and plum tomatoes, a hint of seasoning as well as the garlic.. For those spend most of their time in the kitchen instead of heading out to the local In and Out this is what makes cooking so enjoyable, the ingredients. Most people have baked or cooked something at some point in their life, however to know what composes a great dish is to know the ingredients, the tastes, and the exact time to pull the dish off the stove or out of the oven.  There is deep connection to the food. The good cook knows it inside and out.

JESUS KNOWS US WELL

Such is the case with Jesus who knows us as well, our brokenness and goodness, what makes us tick, what sets us off, what makes us distraught. However, this is not the case of Jews who think they know Jesus questioning each other after Jesus states "I am the bread of life that came down from heaven." They murmur amongst themselves, "Is this not Jesus, son of Joseph? Do we not know his father and mother?" (JN 6:41-51)They are further taken aback by the statement and question how Jesus say that he came down from heaven. That in itself is heresy.

DO I KNOW GOD?

This brings up the question, "Do I really know God?" I can't even count the number of times when I think I know what God has planned for me only to be surprised. Probably better said I try to play God and plan accordingly knowing what is best for me. It is much like a food that one has a preconceived notion about and has vowed to never taste it, but once taking a bite is pleasantly surprised by the tasty ingredients.  I don't know what God consist of nor have I seen God. I can only fashion an image that is based on a preconceived notion based on the ingredients that I have obtained during my life.

THE LESSON

I have to consider that  do I not know God well as I would like, but through faith I have encountered unconditional love that cannot be matched.  However, there is another message in John's Gospel today which we can apply to our daily lives. Do we know the people we judge and condemn? A  good friend of mine always reminds me when I talk about how I can be condemning and judging, "Do you know their story?" Something I always need to consider. I sometimes don't even know what makes the people closer to me tick as I overlook the ingredients that make them up. So before I cast a judgement, I need to take a closer look at the person. I need to listen and be present. I need to look at the ingredients. 

1 comment:

  1. Really sweet piece. An insight I can never hear too often because I'm so overconfident about what I think I "know" about God and others. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Do You Not Know?

THE MAP As the disciples gathered and Thomas and Philip questioned Jesus as he told them where he was going. Still not quite understanding T...