Saturday, December 19, 2015

How Shall I Know? Prayer and Doubt

Prayer is an act of faith, leaving all into God's hands even our doubts.  Many times as I pray doubt and dread enter into my being. What am I giving up as I pray? Is this really what I am asking for or do I want a clean version of my request, no obstacles or challenges that may cause anxiety or stress. Zechariah, a godly many also faced doubt when conversing with the angel. "How shall I know this?" Of course, I don't expect to be struck speechless although that in itself might better me and those around me at times.

The unconditional surrender to the outcome of the request of prayer is scary. Throughout the Bible we see angels proclaim "Don't be afraid." Our human nature and our self-reliance responds, "Of course I am afraid.  I have to rely on something I don't see or better yet can foresee. I am very afraid." A closer look at the outcome of Zechariah's encounter with the angel reveal that submission to God's will is rewarded.  We see Mary doing the same in her encounter with the Angel Gabriel and the ultimate submissive act is Jesus dying for us on the cross.  Even as we reflect  on Mary's words "May it be done according to your word" in times of difficulty we can rest assured that our faith and the goodness of our loving God will provide an outcome much better than we sometimes ask for. As Paul states in Thessalonians "Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you." May your be blessed with all your prayers this Christmas season.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do You Not Know?

THE MAP As the disciples gathered and Thomas and Philip questioned Jesus as he told them where he was going. Still not quite understanding T...