Sunday, November 19, 2017

Who Has Talent?


YOU WANT TALENT, WE HAVE IT!

Do a Google search and see how many talent shows now appear on television.  There seems to be an endless stream of them. I counted twenty-five. Some have come and gone and others continue to grace the televisions of audiences weekly. American Idol, America has Talent, The Voice, Dancing with the Stars are to name a few. It is not just in our nation, but in also in Europe and Asia where one can see spinoffs of shows whose origin is from Great Britain or from the United States. Some of these shows have some dreadful performances from contestants that leave one cringing, other performers go on to larger audiences as musical stars.  So what is is our infatuation with these shows? Is there true talent or is it just for entertainment, ridicule and laughs?

THE ULTIMATE TALENT SHOW

Let's think for a moment of the ultimate game show with Jesus as host. It is appropriately named as well Who has Talent. Jesus solicits members of the audience to come demonstrate their talents. The key to winning this game is to able to quickly find the talent that corresponds with a scenario that we were faced with during our time on earth. Everyone is a contestant. Winners move to the next level, heaven, losers, well let's just say they don't go to heaven.

The game begins with the first contestant. Mind you this game is not about beauty, wealth, or other fleeting gifts, it is about what is in the hear. Jesus produces a situation in which a homeless person is the off ramp with a sign that says homeless in need of food. He asks the contestant, "What will you do?" The contestant stammers and fumbles around. "Donate to a homeless organization!" Jesus responds, "In as much as that sounds good it is an incorrect answer. Please exit to the door on the left."

The second contestant enters the stage. Jesus produces a scenario where a person approaches the contestant and states, " I am cold, do have anything that can help me through the night?" The contestant instantly takes their jacket and gives it to the person. Jesus proclaims, "Well done, my good and faithful servant, I will give you great responsibilities. Please continue on." The contestant is then faced with a difficult person in a shopping line in front of them who is loud and complaining about everything. The contestant pauses for a moment, prays for the person and offers to help them with paying for part of their groceries. The angry person in voice that the whole store can hear says, "I don't need help from anyone and certainly from you!" The contestant responds, "God bless your day." Jesus, without losing a moment, states, "You truly have a house in my kingdom. Please exit on the right.  The audience applauds as the game continues on with next contestant.



We are participants in the talent show. We are asked to use our God-given talents daily although sometimes we are not sure if we have anything to offer. Dig deep, pray, reflect. I have over the years found that I have much more than I ever thought I could offer. For me it comes down to living in the light. In the light I can find my talents much easier than living in the dark where due to my self-centeredness I am blinded not only to the needs of others, but also to fact that I may have the ability to help with a talent and not realize it.  I would like to think that I could be a winner on this show, but depends on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do You Not Know?

THE MAP As the disciples gathered and Thomas and Philip questioned Jesus as he told them where he was going. Still not quite understanding T...