Sunday, May 8, 2016

Left Standing

We have all been left standing speechless and in awe at one time or another in our lives.  As avid sports fan there are quite a few moments in my life where I have seen game ending shots, spectacular catches, monumental home runs, or indescribable goals.  Likewise we have snapshots of some world event that had left us speechless. What follows is usually a statement such as "Did you see that" or "I can't believe what I just saw." Imagine the disciples who had seen numerous miracles performed by Jesus and were foretold of his ascension to the Father? Stuck in moment in time, perhaps wanting to hold onto the moment for what they had experienced over the time they had been with Jesus was in itself was difficult to put into words.

What follows is the actions which are the beginning of the Church. The Advocate becomes real and no longer are the disciples still, but become men of action. Many of us have experienced the living Jesus in the form of our interactions with others and have carried the message of love, charity, and forgiveness to the ends of the earth. This is the Gospel message.

Likewise is the challenge. Being moved by the Spirit and taking action. Living in a secular society and talking of such experiences creates tension for those unfamiliar with the Gospel message.  I find this myself as I ponder how do I spread the Gospel? I have heard quite often the quote, "How does one know that you are Catholic?" Do my actions and or words mirror those of a person of God? Daily reflection indicates on some days yes and other days it seems the Spirit in me is quite absent as I am filled with resentment, anger and other defects of character.

Back to left standing. Many people have read or heard the quote attributed to St. Francis, "Preach the Gospel at all times. When necessary use words." Although these are not the exact words from the great saint, the quote is a reminder to me that I don't have to be overcome with the fear of actually preaching or quoting verses of the Bible (of which I am not proficient) in some teachable moment. It is my actions which can reveal the Holy Spirit alive in me. Actions of charity, compassion, forgiveness. Actions of a kind word to a suffering colleague, to a person in the pews at Mass on Sunday, or praying for a loved one that may have hurt me in some way.  No longer standing, but being moved by the Spirit. Blessings on this Ascension Day and Blessed Mother's Day for all those mothers who have moved us out of comfort zones by their examples of living out the Gospel message.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do You Not Know?

THE MAP As the disciples gathered and Thomas and Philip questioned Jesus as he told them where he was going. Still not quite understanding T...