Sunday, January 31, 2016

Speak without Fear

In our day speaking your mind especially on social media seems to in vogue. Politicians have taken speaking their mind to another level inciting anger among various groups.  Recently I have read some threads on the internet on fairly benign topics that turn into a rant of vulgarities within two to three comments. Quite disturbing. Yet none of this incidents is reflective of what is preached in today's readings.  Psalm 34 implores us to "keep our tongues from evil and lips from speaking deceit."  Saint Paul in Romans 12 states "bless those that persecute you" and again "live at peace with all."  We like the prophet Jeremiah are asked to speak up without fear, but surely not how the world might speak.  It is quite simple to lash out against an institution that has views that offend us or quietly spread unkind words in the workplace, but this is our challenge. I find myself quiet on controversial topics that involve Church teachings, yet quite opinionated on politics, sports, and other issues. 

"They will fight against you; but they shall not prevail against you, for I am with you, says the LORD, to deliver you." Reassuring words in Jeremiah us, but still very much a challenge.  What is it that keeps me quiet. Fear, fear and fear. Fear of being judged, fear of losing friends, and a host of other fears. Jesus when speaking in the synagogue in the Gospel reading from Luke, spoke fearlessly to an audience he knew would rise up against him.  Perhaps reflecting more on the psalmist words from Psalm 71 "in you, O Lord I take refuge; let me never be put to shame." Can I take from Paul's teachings in Corinthians on love and not seek my own interest, be rude and pompous, and rejoice over wrong? My prayer today is "Grant me O Lord the courage to speak up, not on my own interests but always of Yours. Let my actions be reflection of Your desire, not mine. Grant me the courage to take this to You one temptation, one test, at a time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do You Not Know?

THE MAP As the disciples gathered and Thomas and Philip questioned Jesus as he told them where he was going. Still not quite understanding T...