Saturday, January 16, 2016

Healing Power

Throughout the Gospel reading this week we see the healing power of Jesus as takes his ministerial travels in the Holy Land. Many are amazed at his ability to instantly gives new life to lepers, paralytics,  and the demonically possessed.  Then there are those who question his ability and authority to do so.  "Under whose authority" they ask or "Why does he eat with sinners" as posited in today's Gospel. One would assume that people would rejoice when some of the aforementioned people were provided with new life.  However, our sinful human condition constantly attempts to elevate us above those who might be afflicted.

I catch myself often condemning those in the news who have been brought down by their own actions.  Judgement comes quite easily in our society which gravitates to  social media postings that reveal the latest scandal or inflammatory comment.  The Gospel provides a message that is contrarian to these actions.  First Jesus says to Levi, " Follow me." A simple but life changing moment for one who is considered an outcast in society at that time. However, for me Jesus' retort to the scribes and Pharisees who question his eating with sinners and tax collectors is quite poignant. "Those who are well do not need a physician, but the sick do. I do not come to call the righteous, but sinners." In my brokenness I sometimes forget that I need to join at the table with Levi and other sinners at the table. I require healing and the sustenance from the Great Healer. The choice is mine, take actions like the righteous who cast disparaging stones at those afflicted, or unite with my fellow sinners regardless of their condition.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do You Not Know?

THE MAP As the disciples gathered and Thomas and Philip questioned Jesus as he told them where he was going. Still not quite understanding T...