Sunday, June 1, 2014

Why Are You Standing There?

In today's reading in Acts, we hear the angels stating to the apostles, Why are your standing there looking up to the sky?" As I read this it reminded me that I have been blessed with uncountable blessings.  I too have come to know the Lord in ways that exceed my wildest expectations, yet I could be asked the same question.  Why do I stand?  What do I do to proclaim the word.  Just as the apostles who were paralyzed by fear after Jesus crucifixion and who continued so for days until the Pentecost, I for all my supposed courage have been standing.

What is there to gain by proclaiming the Lord? Perhaps answering this question in this context reveals the struggles of one that is contemplating the opposite question of what is there to lose by proclaiming the Lord. Remembering that we have nothing to gain in the sense of this world and that it is stated countless times  and as in Peter 4, "Rejoice to the extent that you share in the sufferings of Christ, so that when his glory is revealed you may rejoice exultantly."

Realizing that suffering for the good of Christ is not something that is readily embraced by this world as the word suffering itself if much frowned upon. Rather we are told that we must avoid suffering and embrace the concept of pleasure and feeling good contrary to the teachings of Christ. Paul in his letter to the Ephesians Chapter 1, gives us an incentive with the promise of receiving the Spirit of wisdom and knowledge of Christ so that we may be enlightened.  Jesus as well in the final chapter of Matthew exhorts us to make disciples of all nations.  Our directive is quite simple as we cling to this promise.  Let it not be just in our words, but also in our actions that we proclaim the good news.  What can I do for someone who is struggling?  What can I do for the poor, the destitute? How can I better treat those closest to me?  Thus no longer standing paralyzed I take action when I answer these questions emboldened by the Spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do You Not Know?

THE MAP As the disciples gathered and Thomas and Philip questioned Jesus as he told them where he was going. Still not quite understanding T...