Sunday, March 5, 2017

Voices of Temptation, Voices of Good







VOICES OF TEMPTATION, VOICES OF GOOD

For years the idea that one could hear the voice of God was lost upon me. I can attest that I never really considered that God could talk to me through the voice of the Holy Spirit. Moreover, I never wanted to hear the voice of the Spirit as my life was drowned out by much larger voices of desire and fulfilling my wants.

THE EASY WAY OUT

As we begin Lent, we are faced with many temptations or if one would like to use the term, voices. These are the voices of the Tempter. Taking Lent seriously and truly making sacrifices is challenging as well. The voice of the Tempter tells us to take the easy way out and make some minuscule attempt to give up something that is not even a challenge after all. You know what I am talking about here. 
In doing so one minimizes the reliance on God.  

In Deuteronomy we hear of the Hebrews wandering for forty years, hungry and afflicted by various tests in order not to rely on bread alone, but on God. As a person who struggles with overeating especially when I am not feeling good about myself or dealing with long periods of recovery from injuries, this is very real.  As an endurance cyclist eating properly is key to a good performance. Unfortunately when I am off the bike as I am now for months eating can be a problem. Food is comforting and readily accessible.

The voice of the Tempter is always talking. "Have another piece of this or another serving of that. " Robotically I conform and follow.  I am great at rationalizing why I can have another serving as well. But afterwards aware of my action, I am then angry at myself. The more difficult challenge is to ask God for help to overcome this temptation. The Tempter loves this behavior. The self-loathing leads me farther away from God and to despair. From that point the behavior is minimized to the point where it is not even challenged. 

THE TEMPTER

The first reading today is another view of man being overcome with the voice of the Tempter. "Surely you will not die," says the serpent as Eve is challenged. No I won't die if I give in to the voice as well to judge someone in my midst, lust after power, something or someone or take an extra serving. The paradox is that I do die. Each time I succumb to these temptations I am separating myself from God. It is so easy for  me to reduce these actions to nothing.

Persistence in prayer is key. Each temptation must be confronted head on and with persistence. I can imagine Jesus being confronted with temptation and praying consistently with the words, "Not mine, but thy will be done."



HOPE

I can't even imagine Jesus in the desert for forty days fasting when I cannot go a day unless under medical orders. But here is where the solution lies. Stripped down to nothing but his reliance on his Father. Jesus triumphs over every temptation cast at him.  Here is where there is hope for a sinner like myself. 

One, I am not Jesus so I accept the fact that I will fail at times.  The Tempter may try to induce me with the idea that I need to be perfect. This in itself is a recipe for failure.  However, I can rely on the fact that with God I can repent just as the Hebrews did numerous times in the desert. 

Two, during Lent I can fast from not only food, but judging ( a real character defect of mine). I can also fast from social media that provokes my anger and there is no shortage of that. I decided to try something a little different and also refrain from news shows that arouse anger and resentment which is also quite challenging. In place of this I will write, read spiritual books or even pray for those I judge.  Calling on the Holy Spirit in times of weakness certainly helps.

VOICE OF GOOD

 I have also found that I do hear that small voice that reminds me in moments of weakness of my Lenten observation. The paradox that this my food. I can feed off the voice of the Spirit. I can feed off the hope that Jesus overcame the temptations and gain strength in each temptation. I can feed in the voice of good. I can feed off of the Bread of Life. 

1 comment:

  1. What an insightful post. I know that I struggle so much with temptations that seem minor compared to those Christ faced in the desert. So grateful for we can remember that He is God and we aren't. Plus, we only have to turn towards him for help overcoming temptation in our lives.

    Thank you so much for adding this to the 40 Days of Seeking Him link up this week. I love to see what others are contemplating during the season.

    ReplyDelete

Do You Not Know?

THE MAP As the disciples gathered and Thomas and Philip questioned Jesus as he told them where he was going. Still not quite understanding T...